The Canal Cottages
Alongside the proposed Hopwell Road end of the ” The Golden Mile”, there are derelict cottages that were built at the end of the 18th century soon after completion of the canal. The cottages started life as part of a mill complex, but were later converted to accommodate families working on nearby farms when the mill ceased to be viable. The Trust has able to purchase the buildings from a local developer and is now working on their restoration.
How will it be funded?
Plans have been developed to convert the building into a part residential and part commercial complex (see right for draft proposal of the ground floor plan).
It is intended to provide a base for the Trust to show off the heritage of the cottages and the wider canal and to form a base for activities. In addition the possibility of canal line services such as a cafe, farm shop, cycle shop, changing facilities would provide an attractive hub for canal side activities.
The cost of the work is currently being assessed, but the Trust is confident that the work can be financed through development loans supported by Trustees. The production of income generating assets will allow loans to be serviced going forward and provide an asset to support further activities elsewhere.
Progress to Date
We’ve made tremendous progress on the Canal Cottages so far. Since the purchase, we have:
- Cleared the site of all unwanted or dangerous vegetation (including an number of dying or unsafe trees)
- Cleared out rubbish, debris and general detritus from all the rooms.
- Held a highly successful open day, showcasing our progress as of November 2017 to members of the public
- Reclaimed as many bricks as possible from the main structure and the dilapidated out-buildings.
- Erected Scaffolding around the entire building to enable rebuilding work to begin.
- Hired a heritage-specialist bricklayer to begin rebuilding of the main structure.
- Cleared all the roof tiles off to provide access for the entire building to be rebuilt from the bottom up!
We’ve provided a gallery of images below showing the great progress being made at the Canal Cottages.
Our latest update video (from Spring 2018) is provided too.